Tuesday, May 5, 2015

There... Is... Another...

There's nothing quite like a good final speech, is there?  I don't mean unintentionally funny "narm" moments.  I'm definitely not talking about intentionally funny "Facing the Bullets" one-liners.  I'm talking about those moments where someone knows they're dying and somehow has time to impart some important last thoughts.

I'm talking about Master Yoda's final moments:
YODA:  
Hmm.  That face you make.  Look I so old to young eyes?
LUKE:  
No... of course not.
YODA:  
I do, yes, I do!  Sick have I become.  Old and weak.  When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not. Hmm?  Soon will I rest.  Yes, forever sleep.  Earned it, I have.
LUKE
:  Master Yoda, you can't die.
YODA:  Strong am I with the Force... but not that strong!  Twilight is upon me and soon night must fall.  That is the way of things ... the way of the Force.
LUKE:  But I need your help.  I've come back to complete the training.
YODA:  
No more training do you require.  Already know you that which you need.
LUKE
:  Then I am a Jedi?
YODA:  
Ohhh.  Not yet.  One thing remains:  Vader. You must confront Vader.  Then, only then, a Jedi will you be.  And confront him you will.
LUKE
:  Master Yoda... is Darth Vader my father?
YODA
:  Mmm... rest I need.  Yes... rest.
LUKE
:  Yoda, I must know.
YODA:  
Your father he is.  Told you, did he?
LUKE
:  Yes.
YODA:  
Unexpected this is, and unfortunate...
LUKE
:  Unfortunate that I know the truth?
YODA:  
No.  Unfortunate that you rushed to face him... that incomplete was your training.  Not ready for the burden were you.
LUKE
:  Well, I'm sorry.
YODA:  
Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force.  But beware. Anger, fear, aggression.  The dark side are they.  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.  Luke...Luke...Do not...Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate, you will.  Luke, when gone am I [cough], the last of the Jedi will you be.  Luke, the Force runs strong in your family.  Pass on what you have learned, Luke...  There is... another...Sky...Sky...walker.
I'm talking about the final words of Thorin Oakenshield to Bilbo Baggins:


"Farewell, good thief...  There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West.  Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure.  If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world..."




I'm talking about The Doctor's recorded last words to Rose:
This is Emergency Programme One.  Rose, now listen.  This is important.  If this message is activated, then it can only mean one thing.  We must be in danger, and I mean fatal.  I'm dead, or about to die any second with no chance of escape.  And that's okay.  Hope it's a good death. But I promised to look after you, and that's what I'm doing. The TARDIS is taking you home. [Rose protests]  And I bet you're fussing and moaning now.  Typical!  But hold on and just listen a bit more.  The TARDIS can never return for me.  Emergency Programme One means I'm facing an enemy that should never get their hands on this machine.  So this is what you should do:  let the TARDIS die.  Just let this old box gather dust.  No one can open it.  No one will even notice it.  Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner.  And over the years, the world will move on and the box will be buried.  And if you wanna remember me, then you can do one thing, that's all, one thing.  Have a good life.  Do that for me, Rose.  Have a fantastic life.
There are so many really strong examples of what I'm talking about.  But my all-time favorite final speech—and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Christian—is the Farewell Discourse of Jesus.

Jesus has plenty of time to speak to the Disciples while Judas is slinking off to bring men with clubs and swords to arrest him.  But don't worry, I won't quote the whole thing here.  Just the most important part:
 "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.  I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you.  I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.  You did not choose me but I chose you.  And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.  I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another."
Be good to each other,
Love one another,
Rev. Josh
050515





Lectionary texts

Acts 10: 44-48

While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, for they heard them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter said, "Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" So he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they invited him to stay for several days.

Psalm 98

O sing to God a new song,
    for God has done marvelous things.

God's strong hand and holy arm
    have given God the victory.

God has made known God's victory;
    and has revealed God's vindication
in the sight of the nations.

God has remembered having steadfast love
    and faithfulness to the house of Israel.
All the ends of the earth
    have seen the victory of our God.

Make a joyful noise to God,
    all the earth;
break forth into joyous song
    and sing praises.

Sing praises to God
    with the lyre,
with the lyre and
    the sound of melody.

With trumpets and the sound of the horn
    make a joyful noise
before the Ruler, the Sovereign.

Let the sea roar,
    and all that fills it;
the world and those who live in it.

Let the floods clap their hands;
    let the hills sing together for joy
at the presence of God,
    for God is coming to judge the earth.

God will judge the world
    with righteousness,
and the peoples with equity.

1 John 5: 1-6

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith. Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit is the truth.

John 15:9-17

[Jesus said:] "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another."

No comments:

Post a Comment